Vinod Yaragudri obtained his bachelor degree (1994) in Biology and Chemistry, and a master degree (1996) in Biochemistry from Karnatak University, India. He received his Ph.D (Neurochemistry) in 2002 from the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuroscience (NIMHANS), India, for studies on serotonergic receptors in postmortem brains of alcoholic, bipolar and schizophrenic patients, and for delineating the molecular mechanisms of mood stabilizers. He joined NKI in 2002 for postdoctoral studies in Dr. Hungund’s lab. His research is funded by both private sources and the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Dr. Yaragudri is also Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at NYU School of Medicine.
- Young Investigator Research Grant, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, 2004-2006
- NIH Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Award (R21DA020531), NIDA, 2007-2010
- NIH Small Research Grant Award (R03MH085079), NIMH, 2009-2012
- NIH Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Award (R21AA018709), NIAAA, 2010-2013
- NIH Independent Research Grant Award (R01AA021662), NIAAA, 2014-2018
- Academic Editor of the Journal, PLOS ONE
- Gold Medal for Academic Excellence in Postgraduate studies
Hungund BL*, Vinod KY*, Kassir SA, Basavarajappa BS, Yalamanchili R, Mann JJ, Cooper TB, Arango V. Upregulation of cannabinoid-1 receptor in the prefrontal cortex of depressed suicide victims. Mol Psychiatry 2004;9:184-190. *Equally contributed.
Vinod KY, Arango V, Xie S, Kassir SA Cooper TB, Mann JJ, Hungund BL. Elevated levels of endocannabinoids, CB1 receptors and agonist-mediated G-protein signaling in the prefrontal cortex of alcoholic suicide victims. Biol Psychiatry 2005;57:480-486.
Vinod KY, Hungund BL. Role of the endocannabinoid system in depression and suicide. Trend Pharmacol Sci. 2006;27:539-545.
Vinod KY, Kassir SA, Hungund BL, Cooper TB, Mann JJ, Arango V. Selective alterations of the CB1 receptors and the fatty acid amide hydrolase in the ventral striatum of alcoholics and suicides Journal of Psychiatric Research. J Psychiatr Res. 2010;44:591-597.
Vinod KY, Maccioni P, Garcia-Gutierrez MS, Femenia T, Xie S, Carai MA, Manzanares J, Cooper TB, Hungund BL, Colombo G. Innate difference in the endocannabinoid signaling and its modulation by alcohol consumption in alcohol-preferring sP rats. Addict Biol. 2012;17:62-75.